remember my family goals of 2011? well, I just checked one off the list :)
I made Keira a dress!
Mike got me a few sewing books for Christmas, but I ended up returning them both in exchange for Simple Sewing For Baby: 24 Easy Projects for Newborns to Toddlers. There's a pattern inside for a simple dress, consisting of just 3 pieces. The instructions seemed simple enough, so I went for it.
I think it took me about 2 hours to complete the dress, and I did bring out the iron and ironing board to press the hems and seams. The instructions call for making your own bias tape, but I used premade stuff instead. I didn't have any that matched the material and I didn't want to go out and get some, so I used some white tape I already had.
The back has a small keyhole opening, and a button and ribbon loop closure.
A pocket and little stuffed animal friend are also part of the pattern, and I was going to sew two pockets instead of one, but didn't put either on in the end.
there are a few things wrong with the dress, but for my first attempt at sewing clothes, I don't think I did that bad. It's nothing that would ruin the overall functionality of the dress, so I can deal with it. I'll just have to fix it the next time around.
I think I deserve a small pat on the back for this one :)